Need to collaborate with people outside NUS? Team owners may choose to add external partners (e.g. overseas universities, industry professionals) as guests in Microsoft Teams.
Important guidelines when adding guests
- By accepting the invitation, the guests agree that:
- Their name and email address will be visible to the rest of the members in that team.
- Their name and email address will be visible and searchable on NUS' directory in Microsoft Teams (i.e. any NUS user may search and invite them into another team).
- As team owners, you are solely responsible for guests' behaviour and activity in your team.
- Consider setting house rules so that guests and members know what to expect.
- Conduct regular housekeeping and remove the guests from the team when the project is over.
How to add a Guest?
- Go to the team name, click on More options " . . . " and "Add members", and enter the guest's email address (works with any valid email).
- Go to team settings and manage guest permissions as necessary.
- The guest receives invitation in a welcome email which must be accepted before he/she can access the team and channels.
- Guest users who have an email address that belongs to an Azure Active Directory or Office 365 work or school account can accept the invitation directly.
If the guest doesn’t yet have a Microsoft Account associated with their email address, they will be directed to create one for free.
What happens after invitation is accepted?
In the team, a banner indicates "This team has guests" and a "GUEST" label appears next to each guest's name.
What can guests do in our tenant?
Capability in Teams
Teams User in NUS
Guest User outside NUS
|Create a channel (Team owners can control this setting)|
Participate in a private chat
Participate in a channel conversation
Post, delete and edit messages
Share a channel file
Share a chat file
Add apps (tabs, bots, or connectors)
Create meetings or access schedules
- Use WhiteBoard during meeting
- Access recorded meetings in Stream
Access OneDrive for Business storage
Create a team
Discover and join a public team
View organisation chart
Do guests need Office 365 subscription?
No, guests do not require Office 365 licenses to join your team.
However, that means they will not have access to some Office 365 apps like Forms (including Quiz Assignments in Teams), if you choose to use them.