1) I would like to read GER1000/GEQ1000 but I can't find the module in CORS to bid for it. What should I do?
GER1000 & GEQ1000 will be pre-allocated to students according to the schedule set out by the respective Faculties. You are unable to bid for the module. Please refer here for more information.
2) Am I able to choose which Semester to read the GER1000/GEQ1000?
No. Please refer to the pre-allocation guidelines for your Major/Programme schedule.
3) I am pre-allocated to read GER1000/GEQ1000 in Year 1 Sem 1 but I would prefer to read it in Semester 2. What should I do?
Please refer to your cohort and programme schedule here.
If your Major/Programme is scheduled to be reading the module in Year 1 Sem 1, you are not allowed to drop the module to read in Semester 2 instead. Please contact your Faculty for more information.
If your Major/Programme is scheduled to read the module at random (Year 1 Sem 1 or 2, or otherwise), this means that pre-allocation is done randomly with the understanding from your Faculty that it is least disruptive as your Major/Programme does not have any strict study schedule. Hence, you are not allowed to drop the module.
4) I have recently dropped out from UTCP. Do I need to read GEQ1000?
You should receive an email from the GE committee stating whether you have fulfilled the GE requirements. If the email states that you require to read GEQ1000, please send in an appeal to the respective mailbox and attach the email from the GE committee.
5) I am from the 2015/2016 cohort, can I take GEQ1000 to fulfill the Asking Questions pillar of the GE requirement?
GEQ1000 is only offered to cohort AY2016/2017 onwards. For cohort AY15/16, your fifth GE module can be fulfilled by reading an additional module from the Human Cultures, Singapore Studies or Thinking and Expression pillar.
6) On CORS, GER1000/GEQ1000 lecture class is scheduled on a weekend. Do I need to attend a class on the weekend?
No. There are no physical lecture classes for GER1000. The weekend lecture class is a "dummy" slot and you may ignore it. You only need to attend tutorials fortnightly, which you will ballot for. You may refer here for balloting details.
7) I am pre-allocated GER1000 but my friend is pre-allocated GER1000P. Why are there different codes?
GER1000E/K/P/R/S/T/W are meant for Hall Freshmen from cohort AY17/18 only. You may read further here.
8) I have failed/received a U grade for GER1000/GEQ1000. Do I need to read the module again?
Yes. Please refer to here for details on repeat of modules.
9) I received a D grade for GER1000. Do I need to read the module again? What if I use my S/U option?
Students are not allowed to repeat modules they have received grade D or better. However, if you choose to exercise S/U option on your D grade, the corresponding grade will be U (Unsatisfactory). You would then need to read the module again. Please refer to here for details on repeat of modules.
1) How do I choose the tutorial slot that I want?
You have to ballot for a tutorial class. Please refer here.
2) What does "odd" and "even" weeks mean?
Please refer to the NUS Academic calendar here.
For GER1000 (6 tutorial sessions)
For GEQ1000 (5 tutorial sessions)
3) I was successfully allocated a tutorial class after the balloting round but wish to change it. How do I go about doing so?
Please wait for the Add/Drop/Swap Period to swap your classes via CORS. You may refer to the CORS Briefing Slides for Freshmen.
4) I requested for a swap during the Add/Drop/Swap Period. How do I know if it is successful?
You may refer to the CORS Briefing Slides for Freshmen on how to add/swap your tutorial slot. If CORS does not swap your tutorial by the end of the Add/Drop/Swap Period, it means your swap request was unsuccessful.
5) The Add/Drop/Swap Period is over. I was successfully allocated a GER1000/GEQ1000 tutorial class 2-4pm at FASS but I have another class 4-6pm at FoS. Can I change my GER1000/GEQ1000 tutorial class as the travelling time for my next class is too long?
No. As per NUS policy, classes should end 30 minutes in advance to allow travelling time for the next class.
1) I am a Kent Ridge Hall freshman but am not pre-allocated GER1000K in Year 1 Sem 1. What should I do?
Please send in an appeal via CORS stating your situation. You will be pre-allocated GER1000K if you send in an appeal before Tutorial Iteration Round 1. Do check here to ensure that your Major/Programme is not stated under the Exceptions for Hall Freshmen.
2) I am a Hall freshman and should be reading GER1000 in Year 1 Sem 1. However, according to the pre-allocation guidelines, my Major/Programme states I will read GER1000 in Year 1 Sem 2 instead. Which one is correct?
Your Major/Programme takes precedence. You will be pre-allocated GER1000 in Sem 2 & attend tutorials outside of your Hall. You may refer here for more details.
3) I have just recently been moved out from King Edward VII into Sheares Hall but am not pre-allocated GER1000S.
Please send in an appeal via CORS stating your situation. You will be pre-allocated GER1000S if you send in an appeal before Tutorial Iteration Round 1. If your appeal is sent after Iteration Round 1, you will have to continue reading GER1000W and attend the tutorials at King Edward VII Hall.
4) I am a Raffles Hall freshman and am pre-allocated GER1000R. However, I have just applied to move out of the Hall. Can I drop GER1000R so I need not read the module at Raffles Hall?
Please send in an appeal via CORS stating your situation. You may be pre-allocated GER1000 and attend tutorials outside of your Hall if you send in an appeal before Tutorial Iteration Round 1 and the module has not reached subscription. If your appeal is sent after Iteration Round 1, you will have to continue reading GER1000R and attend the tutorials at the Hall.
5) I am a freshman from Eusoff Hall but I am not able to attend any of the GER1000E tutorial slots located at Eusoff Hall due to timetable clash. What should I do?
Please send in an appeal via CORS stating your situation. You will attend tutorials located at other Halls.
6) I am not a Hall freshman but I want to attend tutorials located at Halls.
This is not allowed.
7) I am from Prince George's Park Residences (PGPR). Can I read GER1000P?
No. GER1000P is meant to be read by Prince George's Park House (PGPH) freshman only.
8) I am a Year 2 Temasek Hall resident. Can I read GEQ1000T?
No. Hall Freshmen will attend tutorials at their Halls,