This is the LumiNUS information wiki. Access LumiNUS at.
What is LumiNUS?
LumiNUS is the evolution of IVLE, NUS' learning management system (LMS). IVLE has existed since 1999, almost 20 years.
In that time, NUS has grown and technologies have advanced. CIT needs to make sure that our LMS is able to keep up with changes in technology. So, our team has developed the new LMS from the ground up.
When visiting LumiNUS, you will notice that it looks very different from IVLE.
But the changes are more than skin-deep. The entire underlying architecture and database have been changed.
These changes are significant enough to warrant a new name. Hence, LumiNUS.
What does LumiNUS mean?
LumiNUS alludes to luminous, which is defined as giving off light, or bright and shining. We hope that we can work with academic staff to light students' educational path in NUS.
Where can I access LumiNUS?
You can log in to LumiNUS using your NUSNET ID and password at https://luminus.nus.edu.sg/.
LumiNUS and IVLE
What happens to IVLE?
IVLE has gone into staff-only mode on Sunday 4 August. At a later date, IVLE will be shut down.
IVLE development has ceased. IVLE updates will be limited to critical security and bug fixes.
It will be available for at least one academic year but probably more.
Are IVLE and LumiNUS connected?
No, IVLE and LumiNUS are not connected.
If you create a module and content in IVLE, they only exist in IVLE.
If you create a module and content in LumiNUS, they only exist in LumiNUS.
This is because they do not share a common database nor a common database structure.
Can I export my module and content from IVLE to LumiNUS?
There will be limited migration of material from IVLE to LumiNUS.
- Only the owner (not co-owner) of the IVLE module can request for migration.
- Each IVLE module can be migrated once. Subsequent re-migration requests will not be entertained.
- The module to be migrated will be created as a new module in LumiNUS.
- It will not be migrated to an existing module in LumiNUS.
- You may choose to migrate only certain tools and content within certain modules. Please refer to the table below.
- Please indicate the module and the tools in the module you wish to migrate using the online migration application form.
- Do not migrate all your IVLE modules to LumiNUS. Please do your housekeeping and only migrate the relevant ones.
- The newly migrated module needs to indicate the target academic career and term, following EduRec definitions.
- Please use the actual academic career and term for which you intend to use the module in LumiNUS.
- This is because the academic career and term cannot be changed once it is set in LumiNUS.
- Do not indicate an earlier term as a placeholder.
- Please indicate the correct module code in LumiNUS in the migration request form.
- If it's supposed to be cross-listed module in LumiNUS, please indicate. Example, if you need to migrate IVLE module "GEH1234" to LumiNUS module "GEH1234/GEK1234".
- This is because the module code cannot be changed once it is set in LumiNUS.
- Migration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Corporate modules cannot be migrated.
- Once your requested IVLE module is migrated to LumiNUS, you will receive a confirmation email to inform you of the status. Please check that the content has been migrated successfully.
Items not migrated for all tools
- Access rights for all tools will not be migrated. Please reconfigure the permissions after migration.
- All student responses and submissions will not be migrated.
- All logs and statistics will not be migrated.
|Tool / Item||Will be migrated||Will NOT be migrated||Rationale|
|Module||Anonymous Feedback and Tags are not supported in LumiNUS.|
|Module||very low usage of e-Resources|
(Quiz in LumiNUS)
|The videos used for in-video quizzes is progressive download in IVLE, but it is streaming in LumiNUS.|
Previous announcements are not applicable to the present. You may refer to IVLE, if necessary.
|Attendance / Participation|
Past attendance and participation are not applicable to the current semester.
Replaced by a different chat software.
|Class groups & guest roster|
Past groups and guest rosters are not applicable to the current semester.
Previous consultation slots are not applicable to the current semester.
Forums use a different structure in LumiNUS. Please refer to IVLE and recreate the forums in LumiNUS.
Gradebook content is specific to each semester, and cannot be migrated.
IVLE Guest Accounts are local to IVLE only.
(Learning Flow in LumiNUS)
IVLE Lesson Plan is incompatible with LumiNUS Learning Flow.
|Open Web Lectures|
Not applicable due to different structure and process.
Project will be deprecated, to be replaced with a different tool.
Past recruitment ads are not applicable.
In LumiNUS, individual items can be reused by search.
LumiNUS deals with SCORM in a different way from IVLE, so SCORM content cannot be migrated.
|1||You can retrieve MediaWeb files in LumiNUS, please refer to this guide: How to copy/move content from MediaWeb folder to LumiNUS.|
Are there any tools in IVLE that will not be available in LumiNUS?
Guest Accounts (gst)
Starting from 9th July 2019, LumiNUS no longer issue and support guest (gst) accounts. Staff can add non-NUS users via the non-NUS users' email address. The non-NUS users can then log in to LumiNUS via their social media account (if these are linked to their email address) or they will create an account just for logging in to LumiNUS.
Below is the impact:
- Active (not expired) gstxxx accounts with non-NUS email will be migrated.
The existing password is no longer valid. Please login via the social media login which is tied to the personal email, or create a new password sign-up.
For details, refer to Change in login for migrated guest (gst) accounts.
- Gstxxx accounts with NUS email will not be migrated.
Please login using your NUS credential instead.
- Multiple gstxxx accounts with the same non-NUS email addresses will not be migrated.
- When adding a non-NUS user as a student into a module, you can simply add in the personal email address. An invitation will be sent to the user. The user will need to login into LumiNUS for the first time in order to activate the account.
For details, refer to Add non-NUS student into the module.
We have sent emails to the affected accounts.
Note that there is no change to NUS users logging in using the NUS credentials.
Project tool will not be available in LumiNUS. It will be replaced by Class & Groups, Files, Consultation and Evaluation. Evaluation is a work in progress and will only be ready in AY 20/21.
You may use TEAMMATES as an alternative: http://teammatesv4.appspot.com/ It is a free tool developed at the NUS School of Computing.
Participation will not be available in LumiNUS as the usage was low in IVLE.
Course Distribution List
IVLE Course DL is not available. Please email CCE Messaging Admins to get the list of students so that you can send email to the student list via Outlook.
Since the student roster for the past modules will be retained for 1 academic year in LumiNUS, lecturers still can email to their past students should there be a need to send assessment feedback to their students.
Students Modules Taken
As advised by EduRec, you can access EduRec report to get student past modules taken. The navigation within EduRec is:
NUS Custom Reports > Academic Records & Awards > Student Academic Record.
You will have to create your own run control id, run the report by individual student ID.
Questions relevant to AY 18/19 only
Why have IVLE and LumiNUS run concurrently, if they are not connected?
We want to ease academic staff into LumiNUS, so we are running both concurrently to give you time to adapt to LumiNUS.
The comfort level for a beta product will differ from person to person, so we have decided that both should be available while we polish LumiNUS up for actual launch.
Running both concurrently also allows LumiNUS to gradually deal with actual-use load.
Choosing between LumiNUS or IVLE?
We encourage you to choose either LumiNUS or IVLE for each module.
- If you record new Web Lectures (webcasts), you must use LumiNUS for Web Lectures as the Web Lecture system is only in LumiNUS. Please refer to the Web Lecture FAQ for more details.
- If you use the Project tool, it is only available in IVLE. There is no Project tool in LumiNUS. However, Evaluation tool is currently in development for LumiNUS.
- Are you co-teaching the module? Have a discussion with your co-teachers about where to host your module.
- How comfortable are you (and your students) with new technology?
- Is your tolerance of bugs low or high?
- What is your class size? If it is small, you might considering using LumiNUS.
- Is your use of IVLE mostly passive (e.g. announcements, distributing lecture material, collecting assignments) or does it involve grading (e.g. online quizzes, forum participation marks etc.)? If you use IVLE in a mostly passive manner, you may consider switching to LumiNUS.
We do not encourage you to host one module on both LumiNUS and IVLE. However, in some situations, it may be inevitable. Please read a possible scenario suggesting how to resolve these situations.
I co-teach a module with other lecturers. How should we choose between IVLE and LumiNUS?
We encourage one module to be on one platform only. We discourage setting up the module on both LumiNUS and IVLE.
How will students know if a module is on IVLE or LumiNUS?
Academic staff will have to inform students whether your module is on IVLE or LumiNUS.
This will only affect AY 18/19 as IVLE is scheduled to go into staff-only mode in AY 19/20.
Are there any tools in LumiNUS that will not be available in IVLE?
Web Lecture Recording
New Web Lectures (or webcasts) are not in IVLE as of the start of AY 18/19. New Web Lecture recording will only be available in LumiNUS.
This is because we are moving to a new Web Lecture system, which has been integrated into LumiNUS but not IVLE.
Academic staff who want to use Web Lectures should use LumiNUS for their modules.
For those use Web Lectures who are not ready to move to LumiNUS, you will need to:
- Create a module in LumiNUS and IVLE.
- Set up your module in IVLE as per normal.
- Set up your module in LumiNUS, hiding all the tools except Web Lecture.
- Apply for Web Lecture as per normal.
- In IVLE, create weblink(s) to your module's Web Lectures in LumiNUS.
That said, we encourage Web Lecture users to stick to using one platform - LumiNUS.
For more details, please visit our web lecture FAQ.
What is new in LumiNUS?
You can read about LumiNUS' features here.
Where can I get help with LumiNUS?
You can report a bug, ask a question or make suggestions at:
NUSNET login required for the Help Desks.
Staff and students may also email email@example.com.
Online information sessions and roadshows
From April 2018, CIT has been holding webinars to introduce LumiNUS to the NUS community. Please refer to the webinars page for details.
During AY 18/19 Sem 2, CIT will also conduct roadshows at the schools and faculties.
CDTL has organised training sessions for LumiNUS in March, May and July.
Online and face-to-face consultation
Online and face-to-face consultations will begin during the vacation.