Access Forum category settings
Before you go into Forum category settings, check for the item visibility indicator.
If present, it means that your students cannot view that Forum category.
You can mouseover the icon to view the reason that category is not visible to students.
To edit the category settings, go to the category you want to edit, mouseover the ellipsis (three dots), then click the cog icon (settings).
Click the Permissions tab of Category settings.
Select who can access the category
Give everyone in the module access to the category
If you want to provide permission to everyone in the module, i.e. facilitators, enrolled students and guests, check Everyone in this Module. If done, click Save.
It is best to select Everyone in this Module if you are not intending to provide specific access for various groups to the category.
Or give selected access to the category
If you want to give a specific group (or groups) access to a Forum category:
- click (not check) the parent group, then
- check the group(s) you want to give access to.
In the example below, we want to give Forum category access to Facilitators as well as Tutorial Groups QF1 and QT1. We will:
- Check Facilitators. If you do not check Facilitators, only the module owner will be able to view the Forum category.
- Click Tutorial Groups (EduRec). (If you check Tutorial Groups, all the groups will be selected.)
- Check QF1.
- Check QT1.
- If done, click Save.
Make sure the category is visible
Toggle Category is visible to Yes. If done, click Save.
Set the Visibility Start and End dates
Make sure that the Visibility Start Date is before the current date and time.
Make sure that the Visibility End Date is after the current date and time.
If done, click Save.
If you decide to set a Posting Period:
Keep the posting period open indefinitely enables students to post until the Visibility End Date.
If you Set a posting period:
- the start date must be on or after the Visibility Start Date, and
- the end date must be before or on the Visibility End Date.
- These options allow you to set a time where students have read-only access to the category.