Vision / Objective
The main objective behind developing this application is to make it easier to copy and paste across documents. The program aims at minimizing the act of window switching, visually searching for the sentence one needs to select/highlight and copy the text. Thereby reducing the time spent, increasing the efficiency of the user and making it a useful tool while working heavily on text-processing, such as drafting research papers or a thesis. This auto-complete mechanism will not entirely replace the copy-paste procedure; rather it would complement the same.
Current System Summary
The existing prototype that has been developed is a working model that essentially solves the problems outlined in the objective. The application detects the launching of an Internet Explorer web browser, extracts and stores the text present. Once the user opens a Microsoft Word document and starts typing a prefix from the text in the browser, a dropdown populated with all the possible suggestions from the extracted text appears for the user to select from
The limitations of the current prototype are:
- Lack of a mechanism to group the suggestions displayed in the dropdown based on source, preference etc.
- In cases when the suggestion is too long to be fully displayed in the list, the sentence gets truncated
- Redundancies in the dropdown of suggestions are not removed
- Required to turn off the Anti-virus due to the keylogger
- Inability to extract text from sources apart from IE like Google Chrome and PDF
- Lack of flexibility to turn the application on/off as per choice
- Inability to identify structured text
- Inability to extract formatting elements from HTML
- In cases when the user switches between tabs rapidly, text is extracted only from the currently viewed tab
- When the user switches to an application other than IE and returns back to IE, the text on the web page is extracted again.
- If user did not turn on accessibility API, the system will not work.
- Possibility of extracting incomplete text from browser when it still have not complete loading at the 10th second.
The application has been developed to reach out to a large customer base consisting of different user types. However, it will essentially be of use to students and professionals who use Microsoft Word and WordPad frequently for research work and collecting data from online sources.
The following is the scope of the project:
- The system should run on the windows platform
- The system should support Microsoft Word and Wordpad for the user input.